Mine Closure 2024
26–28 November 2024 | Perth, Western Australia
- The Mine Closure 2024 Conference shall be held in Perth, Western Australia, in November 2024. Bookmark this website to keep abreast of news.
- Save the date! Abstracts are due 11 March 2024.
- Call for workshop hosts! Submission due 1 March 2024. Learn more and submit your proposals here.
- The sponsorship packages brochure is available to view here.
- The papers of the Mine Closure 2023 conference are freely available to download from the ACG Online Repository of Conference Proceedings at papers.acg.uwa.edu.au/mc2023
- ACG training videos are freely available. Click here to access.
The series of International Conferences on Mine Closure is a fixture on the calendars of many mining professionals, providing topical and high quality papers and presentations on a range of topics of immediate interest and relevance.
A key feature of the conference series is the diversity of disciplines and expertise that come together to focus on the pressing issues facing the mine closure community globally.
Previous conferences have been held in:
- 2023 Reno, Nevada, USA
- 2022 Brisbane, Australia
- 2021 Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- 2019 Perth, Australia
- 2018 Leipzig, Germany
- 2016 Perth, Australia
- 2015 Vancouver, Canada
- 2014 Johannesburg, South Africa
- 2013 Cornwall, England
- 2012 Brisbane, Australia
- 2011 Alberta, Canada
- 2010 Vina del Mar, Chile
- 2009 Perth, Australia
- 2008 Johannesburg, South Africa
- 2007 Santiago, Chile
- 2006 Perth, Australia
ACG Online Repository of Conference Proceedings
The proceedings of previous Mine Closure conferences, including Mine Closure 2023, are freely available to download from the ACG Online Repository of Conference Proceedings.
View the papers at papers.acg.uwa.edu.au/mineclosure
- Ecosystem reconstruction
- Planning, relinquishment and legacy management
• Closure objectives and criteria
• Planning and relinquishment
• Rehabilitation and closure planning
• Process of planning
• Statutory compliance
- Landform design and rehabilitation
• Landform design and ecological restoration
• Engineering design
• Surface water control
• Erosion control
• Habitat development and recolonisation
• Rehabilitation performance monitoring
• Climate change prediction
- Decommissioning and waste management
• Mine infrastructure decommissioning
• Construction, decommissioning, waste management
• Recycling – maximising asset values
• Material stewardship
• Hazardous materials
- Financing and cost estimation
• Fidelity funds
• Due diligence
• Asset value creation
- Stakeholders and community
• Sustainable community capacity
• Communication and education
• Legacy management systems
• Custodial transfers
• Closure of small-scale and artisanal operations
• Community health and safety
- Site remediation and impact management
• Contaminant clean-up
• Residual impact
• Water management
• Acid mine drainage
• Outcome-based risk management
- Project management and execution
• Delivery methods
• Case studies
• Construction tolerances
• Implementing new technologies
The ACG is calling for expressions of interest in hosting upcoming Mine Closure conferences. Email us to learn more.
The ACG is also calling for hosts of workshops/short courses to run alongside the upcoming Mine Closure 2022 conference. Click here to express your interest in hosting a Mine Closure 2022 Associated Event.